Monday, June 25, 2012

Then & Now . . .

It is amazing how much people change and grow throughout their lives!
I just keep thinking about how different my outlook on life was 12 years ago.  I had a hard time growing up in the house that I did. I was adopted, the youngest, and the only girl. I never really felt like I fit in . . .  I know that is the way a lot of adopted children feel.
I had a very strained relationship with my mom growing up. We really just didn't understand each other.  . .  at all! My brothers were , well, just brothers, older brothers . . .
The strain between all of us just grew, until I was almost 18 years old, and I gave up. I moved out and told myself I would never go back.

Flash forward to today. I am missing my family. I am missing my mom. Missing the strange banter between my brother Greg and I.
We had a rough begining. We really did, but I feel so much now like it was all worth it.  I appreciate them, and I really feel like they appreciate me for who I am. I feel accepted. I feel like a part of the family and it feels good.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for posting this. It means more than you know for this adoptive mama to see the whole picture. I know my son feels different from the rest of the family and no amount of love seems to reassure him of his place in our family. It is my hope and prayer that one day he will know how special he is to me.
I'm glad you are recovering.