So, it has almost been one year since I got the phone call that said "Lizzy, I'm sorry to tell you but
it IS in fact breast cancer" I got that call on Feb 9, 2012. My husband told me, "Lizzy, if they
come back and tell you that it is cancer, when you get back here, we are going to Paris and
Greece.
These are the top two places on my bucket list. Well, twice, we tried and just couldn't put things
together enough to make the trip work. It has now been almost exactly one year, and the tickets
just got booked today!
I am beyond excited! This is going to be a trip of a lifetime! My girls are going to get to see such
amazing places and are going to see world history first hand!
I can't wait! We are leaving on the 16th of March. I am glad about that, because that means we
will arrive in Paris on March 17th, which is the day my dad suddenly passed away. That has been
a very hard day for me these past years, and along with the sad memories I have for that day, I
will be able to add some amazing memories also!
We are going to Paris from the 17th-20th of March, Rome from the 20-24th, Athens from the 24-
25th, and Santorini from the 25th-30th. If anyone has any travel tips, web sites, blogs, lists,
anything .. . pass them my way. I want to be as prepared for this trip as I can be :)
Wahoo!
Lizzy
2 comments:
their electric outlets and power are different then USA, so dont bother taking blow dryer. Most hotels have them available though. Check ahead.
I'm an expat in Paris with little kids (found you through RFML). My humble suggestions after living here 2 1/2 years-
If you must go to the Louvre, go on a night it's open late (Friday's I think but check bc I get the museums confused). Bee-line to the Mona Lisa and get out of there unless there is a certain kind of art you're interested in seeing. Otherwise it's way to overwhelming and everyone get cranky. The mall attached to the Louvre has some neat shops (2 Starbucks with free wi-fi) and a food court (HOWEVER, nothing like the food court at a mall in the US).
Must go to the Musee l'Orangerie in the Tulleries Gardens (outside the Louvre). Monet's Waterlillies are breathtaking but go downstairs, too. Small museum so kids enjoy too. If you do walk between the two museums, check out the playgrounds in the Tulleries.
ALWAYS stop for Amorino gelato whenever you see a shop or stand. Order the size (small, med, large) and as many flavors as you want. My kids especially like the specaloos, chocolate, nutella combo.
Buy your tickets to the top of the Eiffel Tower ASAP. Those bad boys sell out and you don't want to waste a half day standing in line. The better metro stop to get to ET is Trocadero then walk across the bridge. You get good pics at Trocadero of the entire ET. Bir Hakim is listed as the stop but you can't get good pictures from that stop.
Girls will love seeing the Opera Garnier --Phantom of the Opera fame--just make sure the stage is open to see the stage. You can ask at the ticket counter.
Versailles is an easy RER C (train) ride and couple block walk but it is a day trip from the city. Not sure if you want to take that much time out of your trip.
How could I forget--buy the Paris Museum Pass!! Saves you tons of time waiting in lines. You can flash the pass (kids don't need a pass but some museums will require a free ticket) and skip the lines in the museums. The pass makes it easy to get in, see what you want, then get out and on to your next sight. Oh, but make sure you have planned which museums on which days-- most museums/momuments are closed on Monday or Tuesdays.
Since you arrive on Sunday, the Marais area will be mostly open and lively. (Non tourist shopping is closed on Sundays.) Musee Carnavalet (in the Marais) is one of the free museums and has neat things like the canoes found from people who first lived in this area (something like thousands of years old) to Napoleon's shaving kit.
The trek to the top of Arc de Triomphe is worth the walk up the stairs--if nothing else to see the crazy drivers around the arch.
You're coming at a good time bc school starts back on March 18-- French kids have the first two weeks of March off for ski break. The 17th will be crazy busy around the city. You'll just miss the English Mass at Notre Dame on the 16th.
I know there is more but's it's 1 am--And not in a good Lady Antebellum way. Safe travels!
Post a Comment