Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Jakarta, it was HARD to come back to you!

Going from the United States to a 3rd world country was a pretty big change, but I welcomed it. I wanted to get out of the (what I felt at the time) bubble that was the US.  I wanted to see the world, to see different cultures and religions and just see how people live.

I was completely overwhelmed when we first got to Jakarta. I was overwhelmed but I loved it! I loved the change, it was a welcomed one. The people were friendly and always had a smile on their face. Everything was different, everything seemed exciting. There were times when I would get extremely upset and frustrated with Jakarta but I would keep reminding myself that this was something I wanted to experience and I needed to see it through.

Since we have been back from Thailand, I have REALLY been struggling with Jakarta. I am stuck in a funk . . .  a Jakarta funk . . .  and those are hard to pull out of.

There are things that I miss like there is no jumping in the car and running to Target for some much needed toilet paper and ice cream (you always seem to need those right around the same time :)  Here in Jakarta, at least for us since we don't own a car, we have to walk to the grocery store or get a taxi.
Here is the walk I take if I want to "run to the store" to get something . . .

First things first . . .  you have to step over the TONS of random holes in the "sidewalks"

Then you have the random car that will just make a sharp right turn into oncoming traffic.

Oh and don't forget the motorcycles that decided they didn't want to sit in the traffic so they just jump up on the sidewalk and wiz right on by you.



Then there is the sidewalk that just ends . . . 


Now comes the good part . . .  getting across this road. I was not able to catch the FULL effect of what actually goes down here, but I tried. 


Normally, this picture down here would be PACKED full of cars and motorcycles, so much so that you would not be able to see the other side of the street.



Then the beautiful sidewalk on the way home.




I have to keep reminding myself of the good . . . 

The girls are going to an amazing school and getting to live one of the best experiences of their lives. We are able to travel more and see the world. I have a job that I love, and we have met some amazing people along the way . . . . 

Welcome back, Jakarta!



1 comment:

Chey said...

I really enjoyed this post. I understand completely. We have just returned to the states after 3 years of living abroad, it seems no matter where you live there is something that you need to adjust to - after the experiences are priceless and so good for the kids. I will be having a hard time adjusting back to the US. Thank you for a perfectly said post.
Cheyenne xo