Thursday, March 08, 2012

Taking it easy . . . and doing my research!

  
     So, I woke up not feeling all that great this morning. Just very achey and sore. My guess is I have been doing too much in the last couple of days, and have just pushed too hard. The funny thing is that I feel like I am not doing enough. This I believe is the hardest thing for me to be dealing with.

I have also been doing some research on chemo. See, I am trying to figure out if chemo is 100% necessary for me. There are a lot of factors that go into this. I have had a lot of testing done. They test for these genes called BRAC1 & BRAC2. Also one called the large rearrangement gene.
When I had the surgery, they found that the cancer had not spread to the lymph nodes and was only in stage  1. I have been having a conversation with my drs about how much they think I NEED chemo vs. them WANTING me to take it as a preventative measure. I don't want to tear my body apart if it is not 100% necesary. I will do it if I have to . . . without a second thought, but I need to know 100 % why. I have been doing my research about having chemo after having a double mastectomy and what things would prompt you to get it done, and the reasons why a lot of women that opt to have the double then do not have that 100% need for the chemo poison . 
So many different things going on in my head right now. I know that so many other people will have their thoughts on this subject. I welcome your thoughts, but also want to make clear that ultimately the decision that is made will be by Joshua and I.  We will not make a rash decision. We will do research, talk to the drs , talk to each other, and pray about where we think we need to go next. I appreciate all the prayers, good thoughts and well wishes coming our way. Please keep them coming! We can always use them!
Thanks so much!
Lizzy

6 comments:

JulieMIner said...

I'm really glad you and Josh are considering all your options. SMART COOKIE.

JulieMIner said...

I'm really glad you and Josh are considering all your options. SMART COOKIE.

Anonymous said...

You're such a smartie, I know you'll find the answers you are looking for. Let me know if I can help, you know I just love digging through research. =)

Praying for you ALL THE TIME. Love you so much xoxoxoxoxoxoxo

Genoa Sperske said...

Good for you for doing your research and considering all options. We will pray that the decision is easy.

Allison said...

So glad you guys are doing your own research. Good luck in your search. God knows you have plenty of women who have been through the same thing to talk to about it. Hope you start feeling better soon.

Sandra said...

I am new to your blog, via "Rants." You are in my thoughts & prayers. I am also a breast cancer survivor - diagnosed 18 months ago, the day before my 44th birthday. I was fortunate that it was detected very early; my treatment included lumpectomy, radiation & tamoxifen. Every situation is unique, and you will make the right decision for you. I have a friend who had a double mastectomy for widespread DCIS two years ago; she did not have chemo. A wise pastor friend of mine says he believes that 100 years from now, chemo will be viewed the same way that we presently view the practices of bloodletting & leeches in days gone by. You are STRONG - you will beat this cancer. I'll continue to check in with you via your blog, and will also pray for you and your family.